Hobbies > Hobbys

Anyone else into building speakers?

(1/2) > >>

smith79:
I'm making a new set of computer speakers for my HAM radio bench. I glued up the boxes last night and I am starting to apply the red oak veneer right now.

Dimensions: 6.5" H x 4.5" W x 5" D
Dayton Audio 3/4" Neodymium tweeters, Dayton Audio 4.5" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Neo Driver 4 Ohm
Each box will have a pair of passive radiators and there is just barely enough room to fit the crossovers in the bottom of the box

smith79:
Here is a similar size set of speakers I built years ago. These are rear ported and sound amazing. Bose, Klipsch, no one builds anything this size that can compare.

They are sitting on top of a prototype 5.24" side ported subwoofer I built around the same time. This thing pumps out an amazing amount of bass for it's size

Burd:
I made a set of mahogany enclosures in high school.   Finished them years later.   They sound great.   Porting them was a mathematician nightmare.    But I got it.   Radio shack used to sell stuff.   I bought their crossovers and terminal pad for the wiring hook up.   Iíll post up a pic. 

smith79:

--- Quote from: Burd on August 06, 2021, 04:10:26 PM ---I made a set of mahogany enclosures in high school.   Finished them years later.   They sound great.   Porting them was a mathematician nightmare.    But I got it.   Radio shack used to sell stuff.   I bought their crossovers and terminal pad for the wiring hook up.   Iíll post up a pic.

--- End quote ---

It's a lot easier these days - you can find all kinds of calculators online to figure out port diameter/length if you have the spec for the speakers.

smith79:
I have a spreadsheet for designing crossovers but I dont think you can attach it to a post?

You can get it here "passive crossover designer"
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version