unitedfbody.com

Author Topic: 1969 Camaro survivor with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual  (Read 5530 times)

Online b_hill_86

• VIP member 🇺🇸
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +19/-3
  • Toledo, OH
Re: 1969 Camaro survivor with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »
Maybe
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 Speed Hardtop

Online Burd

• Detroit Birds 🏴‍☠️
  • Admin
  • KARMA +284/-352
  • LETS GO BRANDON
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »
B, Alex goes rite by you on the way up, you dont have to bring the car, come up with Al.  Or you could follow in your ta
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:10:43 AM by Burd »
1978 YEE   1995 Q45

Burds Parts, No Fisher Price Toys Here

GK☑️

Offline cammerjeff

• 🇺🇸
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +10/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
Alex, have you seen this

https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.com/products/e60039303

It looks to be a 69 Camaro 3-speed column shift part. Kinda pricey at $160 though. I would give them a call and see if it really is what you are looking for. You never know?
Former Jet Mech & Potiholic

Online Burd

• Detroit Birds 🏴‍☠️
  • Admin
  • KARMA +284/-352
  • LETS GO BRANDON
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 10:24:41 PM »
 Spoke with Al, he’s been out of town, really appreciates you finding that col, he’s getting it.   
1978 YEE   1995 Q45

GK☑️

Offline Built in 57

• 🇺🇸 UFB Supprter
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +60/-1
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 11:59:50 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the link to this ultra-rare steering column.  I have been thinking about how I could make it work without the shifter rods that go from the base of the steering column back to the shifter pawls on the side of the trans.  There is a '64-67 Chevelle 3-on-the-tree column on Ebay right now with the shifter rods and they look pretty close to ones for a 1st Gen.  I will have to pull the existing floor-shift column and install the ?new? one and figure the rod issue out.  My car originally had a 3-on-the-tree and I want to put it back to 100% original just for the sake of having the most stupidly rare '69 Camaro possible.  I know it will drive people crazy with that setup, but it won't shift as quickly as the butter-smooth floor shifter that's currently in it.  There is an NOS 3-o-t-t shifter handle on Ebay right now for a '68 C10 pickup and I'm sure it is the same as the Camaro used.  I will put a black NOS GM shift knob on it (it should technically have a light green shifter knob, but good luck finding one...made of "unobtanium", no doubt}.

And Burd...thanks for posting this up that I needed this column.  It's because of you that I'm about to do an incredibly dumb thing like swapping back to a crappy column-shifter.  Thanks for nothing, Pal!
2 Cyl’s Short

Online Burd

• Detroit Birds 🏴‍☠️
  • Admin
  • KARMA +284/-352
  • LETS GO BRANDON
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »
Me, and Barry’s vote, leave  it alone, you’d have to patch the hole in the hump, then patch the hole in the carpet ( maybe using a pc from under the back seat) hot seam in in.  I do have a carpet hot seamer.  maybe put one on those little garbage cans over the carpet repair, with the little saddle sand bags  lol
My 3-O -T-T used to hang up on my 67 Chev pu.   I broke the lever one day being pissed off.  Had to get a knob too, you have to soak in very hot water to install the knob.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:27:23 AM by Burd »
1978 YEE   1995 Q45

GK☑️

Offline cammerjeff

• 🇺🇸
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +10/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
No Problem Al, glad to help. Just don't do much speed shifting with the Column set up! I remember having to unjamb and rebend the column shift linkage on my old 74 Chevy PU. But at least I could crawl under it without jacking it up!

Online Burd

• Detroit Birds 🏴‍☠️
  • Admin
  • KARMA +284/-352
  • LETS GO BRANDON
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
My 67 would hang up,on the firewall at the col.  At least a few times a week.
1978 YEE   1995 Q45

GK☑️

Offline Built in 57

• 🇺🇸 UFB Supprter
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +60/-1
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 01:52:22 AM »
3-o-t-t columns are actually pretty easy to adjust if you use the how-to video on Youtube.  I have owned several cars with that set-up and they are a blast to drive...and they freak people out at shows owing to their extreme rarity.  I will probably just replace the carpet which would freshen up the interior some.  I want it to be returned to its original configuration...nutty, huh?

Here is a list of the 3-on-the-tree cars I have owned:
1957 Chevy Two-Ten Handyman 2-door wagon, 2-tone green with a 235 cubic-inch 6. Swapped the 6 for a 327 4-barrel from a '62 Impala and a 4-speed from a '64 or '65 Chevelle. Sold the wagon in late 1973 to replace it with a red '69 GTO 4-speed.

1964 Malibu convertible, maroon with a red bench seat interior and white top, a 230 six, AM radio, and tinted glass.  This was a great little cruiser to pick up chicks.  Sold when some guy offered me stupid money for it...$2,500!

1972 Nova 4-door sedan, dark green with a medium green vinyl interior, 250 six, PS, and an AM radio.  I bought this in 1980 from an elderly lady in Gardenia (LA suburb) for $1,200.  It was super-clean, had 63k original miles and was a great little driver...able to haul 5 drunk squids back to the ship from the titty bars in San Diego at 0300 hours.  I ran the absolute dog crap out of it and it could handle incredible punishment.  I tore the hell out of it and the seats were full of cigarette burns.  Sold it to a Senior Chief for $600 for his high school daughter's first car (I bet she hated the column-shifter!).

1978 Nova 4-door sedan, light blue with a light blue cloth interior, AM radio, AM radio, whitewall tires, and dog-dish caps.  I bought it with 16,345 original miles for $3,500 via an Ebay ad in 2018.  Traded it in 2019.

As you can tell, I like this rare shifter set-up.
2 Cyl’s Short

Offline Built in 57

• 🇺🇸 UFB Supprter
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +60/-1
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 02:31:32 AM »
Alex, I just noticed your car also has a smog pump with the emission system still intact, I would not think a car sold outside of California and a few high altitude counties would have a A.I.R system installed on it in 69. Very interesting. We may have 2 1st gen F-bodies so equipped at the cars & Coffee this year, and both manual trans cars also.

It will be interesting to see them together!

Jeff, I meant to respond to this last week but forgot to do so.  When equipped with manual trannies, the '68 and '69 Chevy 6-cylinder engines, the 230 and the 250 ("49 State" version) used the same air pump set-up as the California-bound engines.  The auto-trans 6-cylinder Chevys did not have the smog pumps, but instead used a "Therm-Vac" diaphragm on the air cleaner to recirculate a small amount of exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold back through the carb.  The auto-equipped sixes also used a fuel shut-off solenoid on the carb to prevent dieseling when the engine was shut off.

My '69 is one of only three '69 Camaros I know of in existence with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual trans.  I intend to keep "Charlotte" 100% original.  My son Alex is 8 and will inherit this car, and it will be something he can drive for the rest of his life...it is reliable, easy on gas, handles well, has cheap parts availability, and is an absolute rock-solid blue-chip investment.
2 Cyl’s Short

Online Burd

• Detroit Birds 🏴‍☠️
  • Admin
  • KARMA +284/-352
  • LETS GO BRANDON
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »
Tell us about that R59 battery you scored
1978 YEE   1995 Q45

GK☑️

Offline Built in 57

• 🇺🇸 UFB Supprter
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +60/-1
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »
Alright Burd...as you wish.  Finding my '69 was unbelievable...right in my own family.  I knew it needed a couple of things to put it over the top at shows...an original 3-on-the-tree steering column, a set of E78-14 bias-ply tires, and an original Delco R59 battery (I knew that all would probably be nearly impossible to find).  I began my search for those 3 items as soon as I got the car on this past labor Day weekend (1st weekend of Sept. for anyone living in OZ...hello Aussie Dave).

The tires were located on Fleabay in late Oct...a complete set of 4 Goodyear Power Streak E78-14 bias-ply whitewalls that were mounted on original 1968 "FC" coded wheels that were correct wheels for a base '68-69 Camaro.  The seller wanted $500 for the set, located in the St Louis metro area (430 miles west of me).  I got the seller's phone number (a truck driver named Ed) and called him.  He had been assisting his aunt with the clearing out of his Uncle Joe's possessions as Joe had died earlier this year.  In the garage rafters was this set of wheels and tires, and Ed immediately knew what car they were from...Joe's red 1968 Camaro coupe.  Joe bought a new '68 Camaro that had a V8 and a 3-speed manual tranny, and almost immediately he began to turn it into a hot rod by souping up the engine and installing a 4-speed, headers, and Cragar SS wheels with fatter tires.  The original wheels and tires were saved and stored for the next 50 or so years.  Joe sold the Camaro sometime in the '80s when children and their associated costs showed up (damned kids!!!).  I got Ed to sell the set to me for $350 (no one else inquired about them), and he agreed to bring them with him the next time he ran a semi load through Columbus, Ohio.  I met him in late Oct. and got them.  The tires have very little wear...maybe 10k miles, and they are still very pliable with almost no age cracking.  They are dated for the 50th week of 1967.  The wheels are also in nearly perfect condition and are still painted with the factory semi-gloss black.  The set will only go on for big shows...they will never be driven on.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:45:45 AM by Built in 57 »
2 Cyl’s Short

Offline Built in 57

• 🇺🇸 UFB Supprter
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +60/-1
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
OK...now that I had the tires, all I needed were the battery and 3-o-t-t shifter.  The battery showed up on Ebay in early Nov, an original Delco R59 with no date sticker (this is how you identify an assembly line-installed battery).  The seller was located in Lee's Summit, Missouri (KC metro area) and wanted $500 for the inop battery.  I got his phone number and asked about the item.  "Oliver" was the seller and explained that he bought and sold classic car parts to augment his Social Security checks.  The battery was found in a garage where he had gone to buy another part, and he immediately recognized it for what it was.  The people he bought it from said it was from a Nova of unknown year.

I offered $299 which was declined.  How about $350?...declined.  OK then...how much?...final offer $399.  I thought about it and realized I would probably not find another one.  How many times have all of us walked away from a rare part because of the high cost and then kicked ourselves for not biting the bullet and getting it?  I bit the bullet and paid $399. 

Oliver said he would not ship it...I would have to pick it up (did I mention he was a really easy guy to work with...reminded me strongly of Burd  ::)).  My sister lives in the KC metro area, so I decided to pay her a visit the weekend before last and would pick up the battery then.  I invited my 22 yr-old daughter Chloe to go with me on the trip, and we listened to her I-phone for much of the trip (a lot of '60s-'80s music since her music is basically unlistenable garbage)...it was great to spend 4 days with her.  Oliver said I would have to pick up the battery in front of the Lee's Summit Police Dept...I agreed to meet him there at high noon.  He was 45 minutes late and insisted I park in a specific parking spot in the parking lot that had a sign that said "Reserved for Internet Sales" (I was parked about 8 spots over from that spot).  He appeared to be in his 60s and was wearing a long rain coat, white gloves, and an N-95 Covid mask...he looked like a librarian for the world's most liberal university...in other words, a total freak.  He texted me to move over to the specific parking spot (this is while he is looking at me from 50 feet away).  I got out of my car and walked over to the specific parking spot and waited for him to exit his vehicle.  Another car showed up and parked next to him...apparently his back up in case I turned out to be a serial killer (I was literally thinking about killing Oliver at this point).  The backup guy was another weird-looking liberal nutcase...he wouldn't look at me.  Oliver got out of his Toyota Yaris after realizing that I wasn't going to comply with his instructions to park in the special parking spot, and stood several feet away from me while I took the battery out of his car's trunk.  He requested that I not take the box the battery was in because it was a "special box" (a box from a Sony Betamax VCR from the '80s...actually a pretty nice box).  I flipped him off as he and his mystery friend left, and I won't leave him good feedback on Ebay.  I really dislike freaks.

As for the battery, it has some damage around the upper rear side, but I don't care.  Overall, it is an excellent period piece and will add to the car at shows.  Note that it has a sticker which says "Replace with R59 Energizer" (that sticker is only present on assembly line-installed batteries). 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:47:58 AM by Built in 57 »
2 Cyl’s Short

Offline cammerjeff

• 🇺🇸
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +10/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »
Al that Battery Story was painful to read, condolances on having to live it.

Did you see the 68 6 Cylinder 3-Speed (floor shift) Camaro on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-chevrolet-camaro-106/

I think I would like it better in its original White with red interior.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:09:49 PM by cammerjeff »

Online Burd

• Detroit Birds 🏴‍☠️
  • Admin
  • KARMA +284/-352
  • LETS GO BRANDON
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2021, 04:06:13 PM »
There’s box fetish guys on this forum !😂
That’s brutal.   That guy needs a foot up the ass.  I’ve delt with crazy people on Clits yellow.  Lol
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:33:52 PM by Burd »
1978 YEE   1995 Q45

GK☑️