unitedfbody.com

Author Topic: Brighter dash lights  (Read 70 times)

Offline b_hill_86

• VIP member
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +6/-2
  • Toledo, OH
Brighter dash lights
« on: October 19, 2019, 11:47:25 PM »
Iíve seen people over the years asking about improving their dash lights. Drove my car for the first or second time at night since Iíve had it and I must say, I think theyíre pretty darn bright.

Only thing Iím missing is one bulb may be out on the tach near 0 and the bottom of the clock, maybe one out on the right side of my HVAC controls and I broke my prism off for the washer illumination. Just gotta find it again.

Otherwise I donít see what needs improved really. All was easy to read and I even considered turning them down a little. Newer cars Iíve driven are WAY too damn bright. My Ram lights are plenty bright at their lowest setting and at the highest theyíre obnoxious.

What DOES need some help on the T/A is the headlights. Those suck.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:51:52 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 Speed Hardtop

Offline rkellerjr

• VIP Member
  • Diamond Member
  • KARMA +7/-2
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
Re: Brighter dash lights
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 06:42:37 AM »
I've always thought the dash lights were fine as well, I bought a set of halogen headlights, way better.

Offline Burd

• Detroit Birds
  • Admin
  • KARMA +280/-335
  • Another Awesome Day in the Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »
Roy would prob have a prism laying around.
When I had my dash out to do my radio I found a couple burned out bulbs.  It makes a Diff to have them all lit up. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:42:51 AM by Burd »

Offline b_hill_86

• VIP member
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +6/-2
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »
Yea I have halogen also. Maybe I need to double check their aim. Maybe your round ones being slightly larger and the shape are better than the 4x6s
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:47:23 AM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

Offline angrybird

• VIP member, Red, Baby!
  • Diamond Member
  • KARMA +8/-9
  • and party every day
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
When I rebuilt my cluster I converted the gauges to ďredĒ like the anny cars have (changed the paint color of the metal housing from sky blue to floro red).  At the same time i cleaned the circuit board and installed ďhigh outputĒ blubs - been a while but I believe they came from Ames or something similar and were like 3w vs. 1w each.  It looked good but not as good as the cluster on my Ď86 did, which is sort of what I was looking for.   Iíve seen some mods where they install a strip of flexible LED around the inside of the cluster housing (the metal part behind the gauges) and just leave the bulbs out.  Iíll probably do this when I get the car back together, along with a controller so I an adjust brightness and color too.

If memory serves the headlight power wires through the dash switch on these cars.  Iíve heard that replacing the switch helps and there is also a kit out there to convert to a proper relay setup which basically wires the headlights more directly off of the battery.  Supposed to make quite a difference.

Offline b_hill_86

• VIP member
  • Detroit Birds
  • KARMA +6/-2
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 11:45:05 AM »
Might have to try the relay thing. I feel like I could build my own most likely.
-Brian-